All About the Bookshelves
· Have adjustable shelves, makes for visual interest and functionality.
· Consider having a cabinet on the bottom of a bookshelf for storage of ugly items.
· Make sure to anchor your bookshelves, whether you live in a quake zone or not!
· Bookshelves that touch the ceiling raise the height of the ceiling visually.
· Leave some shelves empty.
· Instead of using proper bookends use a bowl, a figurine, or a clock.
· Display vases that are similar colors all together on one shelf.
· Vary the height of items in the shelves to add visual interest.
· Group your books by subject. Makes it easier to find them, and then group by color or size.
· Spread some pictures or snapshots throughout the shelves.
· Turn books on their sides and show the pages if the binding is unappealing
· Leave space on each shelf. Don’t put every book you own on all the shelves.
· Hang pictures on front vertical supports of bookshelves.
· Paint the back of the shelves or paper them.
· Donate or hide the paperbacks.
· Heavy items on the bottom go lighter as you go higher up the shelf.
· Move books flush with front of the shelf edge.
· Fold a quilt and put it on the lower shelf of a bookshelf to give cozy feeling.
· Add a decorative basket for storage and design interest.